Have you ever heard in a conversation where in someone says, “Do you have a map? I just keep on getting lost in your eyes.” or “Would you touch me so I can tell my friends I’ve been touched by an angel?” I’m sure by this time you will either roll your eyeballs or smile reaching to your ears because you know exactly what these are.
Ladies and gentlemen, the English language really displays its versatility since it has developed a unique conversation opener with the intent of engaging an unfamiliar person for humor, romance, or dating. In simple terms, these are called cheesy pick up lines.
I’m sure you’ve spoken some cheesy pick up lines yourself or perhaps somebody uttered it to you. Lots of responses are expected when a person speaks this to someone. He or she could either get offended or just burst into laughter, which the funny side is often the reason for uttering such conversation.
According to Wikipedia, there are four categories that pick up lines possesses. These are the Cocky and funny lines where it takes an arrogant ‘cocky’ attitude and make it into a single pick up line; Opinion openers where involves asking an opinion of the other person provoking a response aimed at an ongoing conversation; Humor lines where it is basically taking out a person’s name into something funny; and Topical lines where it picks a detail of a certain topic that may be of interest to the target and spin it in a way that expresses their interest to the said target.
To site more examples of what cheesy pick up lines are, the lists below shows as follows:
- Am I dead, Angel? Cause this must be heaven!
- Do you have a map? I just keep on getting lost in your eyes.
- Hello, I’m a thief, and I’m here to steal your heart.
- I play the field, and it looks like I just hit a home run with you.
- I’m new in town. Could you give me directions to your apartment?
- I’m sorry, were you talking to me? (No.) Well then, please start.
- So there you are! I’ve been looking all over for you, the man/woman of my dreams!
- Your name must be Mickey because you’re so fine.
- Ouch! My tooth hurts! (Why?) Because you are so sweet!
- Are you religious? Cause you are the answers to all my prayers.
- I think there’s something wrong with my eyes because I can’t take them off you.
- There are 20 angels in the world 11 are playing, 8 are sleeping and 1 of them is standing in front of me.
- So, do you have a new years resolution, I’m looking at mine right now.
- If I could rearrange the alphabet, I’d put U and I together.
- If I were a stop light, I’d turn red every time you passed by, just so I could stare at you a bit longer.
- Me without you is like a nerd without braces, A shoe without laces, aSentenceWithoutSpaces.
- Are you from Tennessee? Because you’re the only ten I see!
- I must be a snowflake, because I’ve fallen for you.
- There must be something wrong with my eyes; I can’t take them off you.
- Can I borrow a quarter?
- (What for?) I want to call my mom and tell her I just met the man/woman of my dreams.
Taking into account the funny side of this language, why don’t your start learning English?
I’m sure you have your own cheesy pick up lines yourself! Feel free to add more.