Magazines are found to be rich sources of authentic materials that can be used in motivating language learners not only in their language classes but also for language teachers as a reference for activities that they can share with their classes. There are many available language magazines that contain numerous content about languages and culture that can help language learners have a better grasp of the target language.
A wide range of linguists, language organizations, enthusiasts and educators from different parts of the globe have collaborated in making language magazines for the language community. The major goal of most language magazines is to update the reading community of the latest updates of languages and the places where those languages came from or are spoken as native tongues.
Language travel magazines that are internationally distributed are also written by
people from different parts of the world and share a combination of the latest events, news, and developments of languages and the places where they are spoken.
Some of the popular language magazines from different parts of the planet include the following:
- Language Travel Magazine – a publication written for and read by student recruiters and educational consultants in more than a hundred countries every month. The magazine contains important information such as the latest developments in the language business and languages. Language Travel Magazine also hosts the international Language Travel Magazine Star Awards for International Education which honors language schools, school associations, agencies, educators, and insurance companies that are in the language industry.
- Language Magazine – was known as American Language Review in 1997 and since then has undergone changes. It is a popular periodical of language, communication, and education. It publishes twelve issues a year in order to meet the demands of its reading public which includes department heads, supervisors, government officials and such. Most of the subscribers include TOFL, TESL, TOEFL, as well educational administrators and university language departments.
- The Language Key Magazine – is a bimonthly business English magazine with an accompanying CD-ROM. The magazine was first printed and published in Hong Kong in 1994 and since 2002 it is published in Shanghai. The magazine is compiled by experienced native English language teachers who are teaching Business English to corporate clients in Shanghai, Beijing and Hong Kong. The wide experience of the teachers in English Language Training (ELT) enables them to focus on the specific problems and needs of Chinese English language learners.
- Think Spanish! – a monthly publication that allows subscribers to study Spanish at his or her own pace. The magazine contains information regarding the Spanish language, lessons and cultural content. The magazine allows learning a new language and the life, culture, people, traditions and places of Spain and Spanish-speaking countries. All articles in the magazine are carefully written in Spanish and each is accompanied with a bilingual glossary that will enable the reader to read and learn Spanish without stopping to look up words in a phrasebook. Each issue also contains a grammar review, a useful monthly tutorial, functional phrases and idioms, a crossword puzzle and linguistic comparisons.
- ESL Magazine – is the primary magazine for American English language teachers and ESL and EFL professionals from around the world. Each issue of the magazine features the latest new in the language industry, a calendar of events, informative feature articles, and practical articles for teachers and reviews of the latest products on the market. The magazine is published 6 times in a year particularly in January, March, May, July, September and November.
Learning more about languages as you learn languages with language magazines and be engrossed with all the things you never knew you will learn!