Visit Cairns â€“ Information about the city
- Population estimate: over 142,000
- City Size: over 480 kmÂ˛
- County: Nares, Queensland
- Country: Australia
- Average temperature: 20-29 degrees
- Currency: Australian Dollar
- Nearest Airport(s): Cairns airport
- Public transport: Trains, buses, boats
- Time zone: Australian Eastern Standard Time (UTC+10)
Activities in Cairns
Keen to get started enjoying the fantastic entertainment opportunities that await you in Cairns? Kaplan will take away all the hassle of planning, as our dedicated events coordinators provide you with a jam-packed schedule of fun things to do in and around the city with your new friends, from lively nights out to exciting day trips. Your line-up of Cairnsâ€™s best attractions could include:
- Rainforest cable car: Be wowed by the view of Cairnsâ€™ rich rainforest habitat from the heights of the rainforest cable car, and then taste exotic rainforest fruits when youâ€™re back on the ground.
- Wakeboarding: Experience the thrills of wakeboarding in the sparkling Coral Sea, or just relax on the warm golden beaches.
- The bustling night market: Take an after-dark stroll down to the busy nightmarket, open every day of the week, for all the local specialties.
- Cairns Esplanade lagoons: Choose between a peaceful day in the parks and lagoon pools or an action packed Army Boot Camp adventure on the Cairns Esplanade.
- Dine al fresco: Feed your appetite with delicious world cuisine from one of the many outdoor restaurants Cairns has to offer.
- Thriving arts scene: Stop by one of the frequent travelling exhibitions for a cultural day out.
- Bungy Jump: Challenge yourself to one of Cairnâ€™s daring sports, from Bungy jumping to Go Karting.
- Cairns Civic Theatre: Take your seat for a musical, concert or international ballet.
- Outback Cave Exploration: Venture down into the dark depths of the limestone caves.
- Tablelands Folk Festival: Enjoy live music from Cairnâ€™s most talented artists.
- Croc Farm Tour: Get up close to Australiaâ€™s snappiest reptiles.
- Sociable nights out: Hit the town with all your classmates for a quiz night, bowling or cinema trip to name but a few.