Visit Christchurch - infomation about the city
- Population estimate: over 370,000
- City Size: over 1400 km²
- County: Canterbury, South Island
- Country: New Zealand
- Average temperature: 7-17 degrees
- Currency: New Zealand Dollar
- Nearest Airport(s): Christchurch international airport
- Public transport: Trains, buses
- Time zone: New Zealand Standard Time (UTC+12)
Activities in Christchurch
Keen to get started enjoying the fantastic entertainment opportunities that await you in Christchurch? Kaplan will take away all the hassle of planning, as our dedicated events coordinators provide you with a jam-packed schedule of fun things to do in and around the city with your new friends, from lively nights out to exciting day trips. Your line-up of Christchurch's best attractions could include:
- Swim with dolphins : Try the activity that tops many people's list of ‘things to do before you die' in Akaroa and get up close to nature's friendly underwater mammals.
- Taste New Zealand's finest cuisine : Visit the bright lights of the Strip and eat a delicious meal overlooking the Avon River.
- Paintball : Take on your friends in Christchurch's messiest form of fun.
- Discover Cathedral Square : Explore the city's laid-back centre and gaze up at the impressive architecture of Christchurch Cathedral.
- Go snowboarding : make the short journey to New Zealand's Southern Alps to experience the rush of speeding down the steep mountainside.
- Wine tasting : Sample the delicately flavoured wines made from fresh grapes grown under the warm New Zealand sunshine.
- Soccer in the Park : Have a friendly kick-around with your fellow students.
- Weekend trip to Queenstown : Challenge yourself to brave New Zealand's famous adventure sports.
- Mt Vernon Walk : Climb the lofty Mt. Vernon for fantastic mountain-top views.
- Visit a Maori meeting house : Witness a tribal cultural show and get the chance to try a traditional Maori meal.
- Christchurch Art Gallery : Brush up on your culture as you take in hundreds of stunning pieces of artwork.