‘Aloha’ and welcome to the U.S. state of Hawaii! Consisting of eight major islands; Oahu, Maui, Kauai, The Big Island (Hawaii), Molokai Lanai, Niihau and Kahoolawe, Hawaii is a truly stunning location set in the Pacific Ocean.
With a total population of 1.2 million, the diversity of the cultures and traditions make for a unique destination. From the first Polynesian settlers in 500 AD to the various arrivals of the last two centuries, the islands of Hawaii are a colourful mix of food, language and customs. Although each island has its own distinct personality and offers its own adventures and sightseeing opportunities, one thing that remains constant is the people. The natural warmth and friendliness of Hawaiians reflects the Islands’ glorious temperatures.
Oahu is the most developed of the Islands with Honolulu as the vibrant capital city. Meaning sheltered harbour, Honolulu, is a city that blends past and present. Head downtown and take a step back in time to the Iolani Palace, built in 1882, the only royal palace in the USA. By the harbour at Pier 9, is where you will find the modern day landmark of Aloha Tower. Ascend to the observation deck for sweeping city views. Since Hawaii is the birthplace of surfing, what better place to “hang ten” than two mile long Wakiki beach. Ideal for swimming, boogie boarding, sailing and any other beach activities you can think of . A short drive out of town in any direction will bring you face to face with uncrowded beaches, and beautiful scenery. Head to Oahu’s North Shore perfect for surfing the winter waves. Each December there are 3 major surf competitions collectively known as the Triple Crown of surfing with prizes reaching six figures. After spending time with in Hawaii, maybe you could claim the crown!
Weather in Hawaii is very consistent, with only minor changes in temperature throughout the year. There are really two seasons in Hawaii: summer from May to October and winter from November to April. The average daytime summer temperature is 88° F. (33.1 C) while the average daytime winter temperature is 82° F. (27.8 C).
Special events in Honolulu
- New Years Parade - January
- Pacific Islands Arts Festival - January
- Chinese New Year - February
- Great Aloha Run - February
- NFL Pro Bowl - February
- St Patrick’s Day - March
- Hawaii International Jazz Festival - April
- State Fair - April
- Cinco de Mayo - May
- Pan-Pacific Hula Festival - June
- King Kamehameha I Day - July
- King Kamehameha Hula Competition - July
- Tinman Triathlon - July
- Ukulele Festival - July
- AT&T Hawaii Dragon Boat Festival - August
- Waikiki Roughwater Swim - September
- Aloha Festivals - September - October
- Ala Moana Hotel Octoberfest - October
- Halloween - October
- Hana Hoohiwahiwa O Kaiulani & Princess Kaiulani Keiki Hula Festival - October
- Honolulu Harbor Festival - November
- King Kalakaua's Birthday - November
- Thanksgiving - November
- Waikiki Holiday Parade - November
- World Invitational Hula Festival - November
- Honolulu City Lights - December
- National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day - December