English Courses at language school New York, USA
- Pronunciation and Accent Reduction I
- Pronunciation and Accent Reduction II
- Current Events
- Academic Vocabulary I, II
- College Preparatory
- American Culture/Film
The Premium Intensive English program offers an integrated approach to language instruction that includes four skills: speaking, listening, reading and writing. This program’s specific courses also include pronunciation, vocabulary building and conversation activities using grammar in context. In order to form a cohesive language-learning environment, we provide extracurricular academic activities such as field trips to museums, historical sites, observation of NYC life and film screenings to enhance and reinforce English proficiency.
Premium IEP – Manhattan only: four hours of instruction per day, five days per week, plus additional activities (twenty hours per week).
The premium IEP curriculum includes four proficiency levels:
- Beginner courses provide you with basic communication skills and English grammar. You learn English to construct simple and complex sentences, and you will develop vocabulary skills to be able to participate in small group discussions.
- Intermediate courses develop your awareness of the relationship of grammar to meaning. As you improve your command of the language, you will participate in larger group discussions and practice giving short talks. You will develop fluency in speaking and writing through the activities at this level.
- High Intermediate courses enhance your ability to communicate with and understand native English speakers. You will increase grammatical accuracy in writing and speaking, and you will improve your reading comprehension skills.
- Advanced By studying at Zoni, students not only learn English, they immerse themselves in the culture of New York City. The Zoni staff is prepared to assist students with accommodations, activities and much more.
These courses are designed for advanced level ESL students. The main goal is to provide students with adequate English proficiency to perform academic reading/writing and speaking/listening tasks. Students will develop their skills in giving oral presentations, taking comprehensible notes, self-correcting for accuracy in writing and speaking, writing multi-essay compositions and authoring simple academic papers. The overall goal is to reinforce critical thinking skills in an English-speaking context.
The advanced academic courses offer an integrated approach to English language learning for academic use.
Study the sounds, rhythms and intonation of North American English
We offer this course in our multimedia computer lab, which is dedicated to helping you to reduce your accent and improve pronunciation. In the lab, we analyze speech from American films and music to give you real examples of everyday English. Then, on the computers, you will analyze your own speech by recording your voice, literally seeing a picture of it on the screen, comparing it with the speech of a native speaker, finding errors and correcting your speech.
Length of program: eight weeks with four hours of instruction per day, five days per week
This course prepares students to take the national TOEFL test in both the computer-based and paper-based formats. We provide a comprehensive review of all the components of the TOEFL, such as written structures (grammar), reading comprehension, listening comprehension and essay writing. The Intensive TOEFL program offers a thorough discussion of test-taking techniques and strategies. Students receive free access to the computer lab to take a complete TOEFL practice test.
Length of program: ten weeks with four hours of instruction per day, five days per week
Elective courses are special classes designed to supplement and reinforce language acquisition. Students with an advanced level of English proficiency have the option of choosing these courses to enhance their four skills and attain a higher level of English proficiency. These courses help improve specific skills in preparation for greater career opportunities.
- Pronunciation and Accent Reduction I: This course helps you become more aware of your pronunciation relative to the pronunciation of native North American English speakers. You will be able to use various aspects of English pronunciation, know its rules and recognize sounds and exchange information with other students.
- Pronunciation and Accent Reduction II: This course reinforces speaking and listening skills. You gain the ability to understand and use the spoken language using increasingly native pronunciation and appropriate accent.
- Current Events: The objective of this course is to improve reading and language skills through high-interest newspaper articles. The Current Events course integrates critical analysis, writing, speaking and a wide array of contextual language skills.
- Academic Vocabulary I, II: These courses expose you to learn English vocabulary that is enjoyable and practical. You learn new words used for various contexts needed for undergraduate and graduate study. Some words will likely appear on standardized tests such as the TOEFL, SAT & GRE. You will be exposed to vocabulary from various fields such as the arts, business, science and math.
- College Preparatory: This course is a bridge to college success. It provides strategies for success and study skills to prepare you for college.
- American Culture/Film: This is an interactive course in American culture using films that reflect American life and learn the English language at the same time. You are exposed to the nuances of American culture and see the similarities and differences between your culture and the American way of life. It reinforces your language skills through the use of idioms, vocabulary, phrasal verbs and other contemporary English expressions used in films.
ESP courses are available privately or for groups; regular and intensive courses are designed to meet your specific English needs. Language skills are offered for specific types of business, including, health Services, hospitality, arts, food service, retail and others.
The Zoni English for Specific Purposes (ESP) program helps you develop linguistic and inter-personal skills needed to carry out a job, get promoted and perform effectively in the working world. These courses are specifically designed to help you learn and understand spoken and written employment-related language.
Languages: Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, French, Mandarin, Russian, German and others
Our students have specific second-language needs. Lessons are customized to match the needs of students ranging from beginner to advanced. They also include specialized classes for learning English that will fulfil your specific needs, academic or job-related functions.
Every Friday, Zoni offers you the opportunity to practice your English informally with other students and teachers. These conversation classes are divided into groups, based on your command of English and your level of oral proficiency. There are conversation classes for beginner to low-intermediate levels as well as for intermediate and advanced levels. These free conversation classes are for students that have signed up in any of the other English Courses.
To maximize your English language learning experience while living in New York City, Zoni provides topical, cultural seminars to help you learn more about the city, the country, their history and their culture.
Zoni's 10-week TOEFL IBT preparation course is a necessity if you plan to further your academic pursuits in college. This program focuses on strategies for effectively taking the exam, including an emphasis on listening and reading comprehension, grammar, vocabulary and writing. The excellent results obtained by Zoni students on the TOEFL exam are the best measure of our efficacy.
The course is designed to prepare students to achieve their goals towards successfully passing the Cambridge exams: First Certificate, Advanced or Proficiency.
If you desire the personal attention of a private instructor to maximize your time and language learning while at Zoni, we can offer a 15-hour or an intensive 20-hour-per-week program designed especially for you. The daily sessions focus on your individualized language needs and your specific personal interests. This regular or intensive private tutoring program provides you with the ultimate opportunity to learn English with your own instructor.
Zoni offers a 12-week course on U.S. business practices, business writing, speech and oral presentation skills. This program is for local as well as international business professionals with intermediate or advanced English language proficiency. The course is conducted as a class or in private with an ESL/Business instructor.