Russian School in Moscow
General Russian School Information
Our school in Moscow is located in the centre of the city, a short walk from Belorusskaya Railway Station, a terminus for trains from Berlin and Warsaw. Our premises are on the ground floor of a building that belongs to the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Most of the office space is used by foreign diplomats and accredited correspondents of the international press. You can walk to the nearest metro station (Belorusskaya) in less than five minutes
All classrooms are equipped with the latest technology.
Students should arrive on a weekend as all courses start on a Monday. If a student is staying with a Russian family, his/her accommodation is paid from Sunday to Sunday. Extra days are charged additionally. All our students who choose to book their accommodation via the school are met at the airport, railway or bus and driven straight to their host family/ hotel/apartment. Lessons usually start at 10:00 a.m. (sometimes 09:00 a.m.). Each lesson lasts 50 minutes and is followed by a short break. Free time between or after lessons may be used to work in our small library or on the school's iPad worskations.
The first day
It is important that students arrive on time on their first day at the school (normally a Monday), so that placement in groups can proceed promptly. Any delay will affect the whole day and interrupt the normal tuition schedule. Everyone, including complete beginners and students who have booked individual tuition, should be present for group placement. The schedule is as follows:
Monday, 8:30 Written placement test
Monday, 9:00 Orientation, get to know staff
Monday, 9:30 Provision group placement and oral test
Monday, 10:00 Courses start
Monday, 14:30 City tour for all new students
The school is a non-smoking area.
In order to maintain contact with family or friends at home, the school provides Internet and e-mail facilities, which are free of charge for all students. Our classrooms and the library have RJ45 sockets. We have a WiFi-zone for student's who bring their own notebooks, as well as students' iPads workstations.
In order to issue an International Student Card (ISIC), which will give our students cheaper access to some museums, discounts in restaurants, cinemas and free access to some nightclubs, we require a passport-sized photograph.
What money to bring
Roubles, € , USD and Credit cards Your personal expenses will range from € 50 (going out once a week, no shopping, no souvenirs) to € 300 per week. Please do not bring a lot of cash with you. There are plenty of ATMs around.
Our Language Centres are closed on the following public holidays: JAN 1, 2, 7; FEB 23; MAR 8; MAY 1, 9; JUN 12; NOV 4. No lessons are held on these days. Compensation is only provided for one-to-one courses.
In Russia basic medical care is guaranteed by the State free of charge. In principle, this includes visitors who suffer a medical emergency. However, both foreigners and Russians tend to avoid state institutions, if they can afford it. Private clinics are more inviting and generally provide a service that is at least as good as state provision.
Liden & Denz on TV
The international news channel Russia Today (RT) featured the Liden & Denz Language Centre Moscow in a recent Prime Time Russia programme. In the feature our Moscow director Julia Patasheva explains course types on offer and which one are most suited for Moscow expatriates (Top tips on how to learn Russian in Moscow (in English), 2011)
Swiss TV Channel 1 (SF1) produced a new one hour documentary about Chris Baumann and Walter Denz, two Swiss friends who were featured in a similar documentary ten years ago. Published bits of this fascinating documentary feature interviews with Walter (the owner of Liden & Denz), include impressions of the Liden & Denz Language Centre Moscow and show our 15 years gala in autumn (Glück und Pech in St.Petersburg, Documentary (in German), 2008)
Our news page has more information.
School L&D Student Quotes
Former Liden & Denz students express their opinion: class of 2012 – 2011
- "Satisfied with everything! Service is very polite and professional. Extremely happy with all the teachers. All the teachers are superlatively good -I was privileged to be taught by them, and Liden and Denz is privileged to have them as teachers." (Matthew Downey, United Kingdom, 22 weeks Intensive Group Course)
- I was really satisfied with the teachers and the way of teaching. I think, I understand Russian much better now and I am not afraid to talk in Russian anymore". (Isabelle Hinteregger, Austria, 4 weeks Intensive Group Course)
- Thoroughly enjoyed the teaching, both the teachers themselves and the style of teaching. I am very happy with how my Russian has progressed, especially my understanding of spoken Russian. (Willan Hugh Anthony, UK, 20 weeks Standard Group Course)
- "I’m extremely satisfied with my stay at Liden & Denz. I was very happy with the place of the courses and the flexibility of the school. I’m very happy with the progress. I went from no skill to being able to have a conversation. I was very impressed and grateful to have so good teachers." (Day Mackenzie, USA, 4 weeks Intensive Group Course)
- "I’m here for the third time. This explains everything." (Mario Capiello, Italy, 2 weeks One-to-one Course)
- "I’m very satisfied with my stay at Liden & Denz. I had the best teacher who explained all the things until students can understand. I think my Russian was getting better day by day. I liked all the things related to the school. Secretariate was always available and very helpful!" (Faruk Narli, Turkey, 4 weeks Standard Group Course)
- "The staff at the school were always gracious and helpful. My family was absolutely wonderful. They were always warm and caring. They looked after me and treated me like one of the family." (Ilona Kamila Zamojda, USA 4 weeks Standard Group Course + One-to-one module)
- I’m very satisfied with my stay at Liden & Denz. The teacher is highly motivated. Made class interesting, often changed methods, funny parts included. Super! My host family was very nice. Great hospitality, very helpful, different breakfast every day! (Gundrun Grundmann, Germany, 2 weeks Standard Group Course)
- "Warm and welcoming - smiles everywhere. Relaxed atmosphere balanced by high quality teaching and enthusiasm." (Iain Lunt, UK, 2 weeks One-to-one course)
- "I’m quite satisfied with the whole atmosphere of school. The teachers are great, the administration is very nice. I stayed in a family. They are very nice, interesting, caring people. Our relations were very harmonious." (Claudia Nickel, Germany, 2 weeks Intensive Group Course)